Graduate Catalog 2023-2024 
    Jul 17, 2024  
Graduate Catalog 2023-2024 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Policies

All transfer credit must be approved prior to enrollment by the Academic Affairs office through the Registrar, by the Chair of the Department through the Director of the Program, and by the student’s faculty advisor through the Student Success Coordinator. The student must have earned a minimum grade of “B” on all graduate work transferred, with grades of “B” being dependent upon the program. Grades of P will be accepted as passing for the purposes of transfer credit as long as the university the student is transferring credit from offers a key that relates the grade of “P” to a letter grade equivalent.

Students on academic probation or academic suspension cannot take a course from another institution for the purpose of subsequently transferring the credit into a UC program.

If a student is to take a course from another accredited graduate school concurrently while enrolled and taking coursework at University of the Cumberlands, that transfer credit must be approved in advance by the Department Chair or the Program Director before the course begins.

Whether utilizing only one of the following methods or utilizing a combination of either method, a maximum of fifty percent (1/2) of a graduate degree’s total required credit hours for graduation may be transferred from an accredited institution of higher learning or applied via credit by evaluation to an advanced degree program provided such credit meets the appropriate degree requirements of the University of the Cumberlands.

Credit by evaluation is utilized for training and education received and properly documented by practitioners serving or who have served as employees of appropriately credentialed agencies or organizations. Credit by evaluation is performed by the Department Chair or the Director of the Program and selected graduate faculty members. Training and education identified as being completed during an employee’s ‘in-service’ experience under the auspice of his/her own agency will not be accepted as credit.

Students transferring to University of the Cumberlands from another institution must provide an official transcript from that institution.

Articulation agreements and/or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) may delineate the transfer and/or evaluation of credit between appropriately credentialed institutions or agencies and University of the Cumberlands. For more information on available articulation agreements/MOUs, students should contact the Office of Academic Affairs.

Courses accepted for transfer or credits approved through evaluation must be reported on an official transcript (academic transcript or training record) when available, which must be provided to the UC campus either (1) in a sealed envelope originating from the original college/university of enrollment, organization, or agency, bearing the sending institution’s official seal and certifying official’s signature or (2) electronically via Clearinghouse or directly from the transferring institution to University of the Cumberlands or (3) electronically from a recognized official who represents the professional training and education organization from which the transcript and/or certificates offered as documentation of learning originated.

Exceptions to this specific section may only be granted by the Registrar in collaboration with the Vice President of Academic Affairs.  Please see additional requirements found under specific programs that may reduce maximum transfer credit or credit by evaluation limits identified in this section.

Transfer Credit to Other Institutions

The transferability of credits earned at University of the Cumberlands is at the discretion of the receiving college, university, or other educational institution. Students considering transferring to any institution should not assume that credits earned in any program of study at University of the Cumberlands will be accepted by the receiving institution. Similarly, the ability of a degree, certificate, diploma, or other academic credential earned at University of the Cumberlands to satisfy an admission requirement of another institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Accreditation does not guarantee credentials or credits earned at University of the Cumberlands will be accepted by or transferred to another institution. To minimize the risk of having to repeat coursework, students should contact the receiving institution in advance for evaluation and determination of transferability of credits and/or acceptability of degrees, diplomas, or certificates earned.

As stated above, the process for determining the transferability of credits to other institutions is to contact the receiving institution in advance for evaluation and determination of transferability of credits and/or acceptability of degrees, diplomas, or certificates earned.

Transfer Credit Related to Military Service

College Level Military Credit (JST and DANTES)- University credit will be considered for students that have earned Military College credit through their Joint Services Transcript or have successfully completed DANTES examinations. The final decision on whether JST or DANTES credit is accepted by the University, and if accepted, the course or courses for which they may be substituted, and the number of semester hours which will be granted, will be made by the Registrar of the University in consultation with the appropriate departmental chair and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Credit carried by all United States military veterans and personnel may be acceptable for application to a University of the Cumberlands transcript. Some credits may not be applicable if the university does not offer comparable coursework. Credit may vary with regard to application to general education, major/minor requirements, or general electives. Final determination of credit awarded for course requirements and general electives will be determined by the office of the Registrar, while major/minor requirements will be determined by collaboration with the appropriate department Chair and the Registrar.

Requirements for the acceptance of Military Credit: An official copy of a JST (Joint Services Transcript), or CCAF Transcript, delivered to the Registrar’s Office directly from the Joint Services Transcript Office or Community College of Air Force.

A student must request that JST/CCAF credit be considered for General Education and/or general electives through the Registrar’s Office.

A student must request that JST/CCAF credit be considered for a major or minor through the appropriate Department Chair or Program Director Determination of the type and amount of credit to be awarded will be assessed using ACE (American Council on Education, ( recommendations according to the specifications mentioned above.